Saturday, November 2, 2013

My Library Run!

You can save so much money going to the library! I checked out about 8 books that valued over $100 and I got to read them for FREE! As stated in a previous post, I am on a healthier food journey and was going to the library to get some books. You can also read my Healthy Eating Series to see why I am changing my diet. Also besides all those fun facts in the series, I am mainly looking to boost my health and my immune system. I was recently diagnosed with Asthma at age 33 and RX meds are not working and have horrible side effects. I believe true health starts with a healthy diet. That all being said it's HARD to change your diet. At least for me it is. I've been living on processed foods, meats, and diary all of my life. So this is a hard change for me. I have a huge book of go-to recipes that we all love and that I can whip up easily, but most of them contain ingredients that lack true nutrition.  So it's back to the drawing board for me! New recipes are in order and new education on diet is also in order. So here are the books I have read and I will outline which are good and which ones to skip. My goal for healthier eating is cutting out processed foods and cutting my meat and dairy intake by 75% or more. My ultimate goal is to be a vegan, but I'm taking it slow! :)

First up is "The Kind Diet" by Alicia Silverstone.

 
This book is REALLY good! It is in line with all of my research on healthy eating. The best thing about this book is that she talks in a calm non-judgmental manner. Some books I have read in the past give you a feeling of "eat this way or die a slow horrible death". This book is not like that at all. She also gives you 3 options to start the diet. Flirt, Going Vegan, and Super Hero. So you do not feel the pressure to be "perfect" right from the start. That's awesome! The only downfall to this book is the Super Hero section does have a lot of hard to find ingredients.
 
Next is "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian" by Mark Bittman
 
 
Okay people, this book is HUGE! I mean REALLY! There is no way I could go thru this entire book. There is so much information in here! This is one of those books that you are going to want to keep on hand for a good reference. The recipes looked pretty simple as well.
 
Next is "The Flexiterian Table" by Peter Berely.
 
 
This book is really good for those who are not aiming to become a vegetarian or vegan. For me this book had to many recipes that centered around animal products. I am not aiming to cut out all animal products at this time, but they are not going to be the center of my meals. I will only use them in extreme moderation. This book had to much of an emphasis on this for me. I feel others who are not worried about this will enjoy this book.
 
Next, "Deliciously G-Free" by Elizabeth Hasselback.
 
 
This is a great book for anyone who is gluten intolerant. I for one don't think I will be using this book. I was hoping for some recipes to use up some coconut flour I bought. This book is for those who are looking to strictly cut out gluten. It does use eggs and diary in a lot of the recipes which is the only reason I passed on this book. I did read thru some of it though and it is an easy read and the recipes did look tasty.
 
Next, "Eat To Live Cookbook" by Joel Fuhrman.
 
 
WOW! The BEST BOOK I have read since the 80-10-10 book!! I love this book so much that I want to buy a copy for everyone in my family! Very practical advice! I was thinking this was just going to be a cookbook, but the start of the book has TONS of important information. It explains why we need to eat this and why we need to stay away from that. Lots of research is shown to back up the claims and is also in line with a lot of books I've read for healing yourself with diet. It gently nudges you toward a more vegetarian diet. It is full of recipes with EASY TO FIND ingredients(hallelujah for that!).
 
Next, "Ani's Raw Food Kitchen" by Ani Phyo.
 
 
I love this book! Great information about eating raw foods. I do not ever plan to go fully raw (though I did enjoy 80-10-10 very much), but I do plan to include LOTS of raw foods into my diet. They are the most nutrient dense, cleansing, and healing foods that we have! Raw food recipes have intimidated me in the past, but these are super easy and also include EASY to find ingredients.
 
Next up is "Eating Well Comfort Foods Made Healthy" by Jessie Price.
 
 
Okay, I couldn't find some other books on my list to check out and came across this book. On a whim I checked it out. Not what I am looking for at all! Lots of animal centered recipes. Some of the recipes are high in calories and lack efficient amount of nutrients to meet my goals of clean eating. If you are not worried about that, then you might like this book. I would definatly check it out from your library first and skim thru it and be sure it is a fit for you and your family before purchasing.
 
Last is "The Conscious Cook" by Tal Ronnen.
 
 
GREAT BOOK! I love this book very much! Lots of great information and cooking tips for eating healthier. The recipes are YUMMY and easy to follow. My only warning with this book is TO READ your recipe thru and thru before starting it! Yes, you should do that with any book. True, but this book requires you to soak some of your ingredients over night. So you will need to plan ahead.
 
So that is it! That is my library round-up! The books I love the most I am buying so I have a hard copy in hand. Those books that are true winners for me are:
-The Kind Diet
-Eat to Live
-Ani's Raw Food Kitchen
-The Conscious Cook
 
Hope this helps to save some of you time and helps to point you in the right direction. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment